When you go camping, you need some type of illumination. While flashlights are the standard, I’ve become a bigger and bigger fan of camping lanterns. I even wrote a post about my favorite camping lanterns.
But for this post, I thought it would be worth diving into more detail on one of the most popular camping lanterns on the markets. This is, of course, the ever-popular EZORKAS camping lantern. If you have spent time on a campground in the past couple of years, you’ve seen this lantern around.
Before I go any further, what exactly is this lantern?
Well, the EZORKAS camping lantern provides hours of bright light in a compact, lightweight and rechargeable design that will help you find your way in the dark. The unit can be used as a lantern to provided 360 degrees of illumination, like a flashlight for seeing further into dark areas and also has a red flashing strobe light that can be used to signal for help in emergency or survival situations.
The unit has a dual power source, with a built-in 1865 rechargeable battery or three standard AA batteries. The lantern has foldaway handles and a magnetic base that allows for carrying, hanging, or mounting the lantern on a metallic surface.
What I Like
There are many reasons why I like the EZORKAS camping lantern. Here are the main ones:
- The unit offers new “Chip On Board,” or COB, a technology that uses several LED chips that are spaced close together to operate as a single, incredibly bright lighting module. Said differently, this is the brightest camping lantern
- Being multi-functional, the EZORKAS is highly versatile with four lighting settings. The unit can be used as a standard lantern to illuminate an area with bright 360°COB illumination, as a powerful 3W COB flashlight or a flashing red signal light with an SOS signal mode.
- The EZORKAS is made from military-grade ABS plastic for durability and water-resistant.
- The lantern is extremely lightweight, weighing less than a pound, and takes up little storage space. Regular readers of Explore Camping Life know that I always care about weight. This passes my weight test!
- The smart compact design, with folding handles, collapses for easy storage and storage. This is a great benefit when weight and/or space is an issue, like when traveling on a plane, a motorcycle or backpacking.
- The three handles can be used to easily carry the lantern while walking or hanging it from an overhead structure, such as a tree branch or a ceiling loop in a tent.
- The unit is very energy efficient, running for hours on a single charge.
- Illumination can be adjusted by partially opening or closing the cover.
- The magnet base, housing three magnets, allows you to securely place the lantern on many types of metallic surfaces for hands-free operation. This feature makes EZORKAS a great work or shop light.
- The unit is powered by a workhorse 18650 lithium-ion cell battery having superior power capacity and discharge rates. This is the same type of battery used in high-drain devices, like laptops and cell phones. The EZORKAS also uses three standard or rechargeable AA batteries as a backup power source.
- A charging indicator light displays red while the unit is charging and turns green when the lantern’s 1865 rechargeable battery is fully charged.
- Fast recharge time is under 20 minutes
- Recharges via a standard micro USB cord and can be recharged from a USB port on a computer, motor vehicle or a standard wall-plug adapter.
- The package includes two lanterns and two USB recharging cords. Buy one, get one free
- The magnet bases can be used to attach both lanterns together to double the light.
- The lantern offers a two-year warranty.
What I Don’t Like
While there are many things to love about the EZORKAS camping lantern, here are a few things that could be improved upon:
- The built-in 18650 battery is not designed to be removed if it should ever need replacing. You need to buy a new one if your battery craps out
- The lantern does not have solar charging capability. This would have been a great feature when camping off the grid. BUT, I have written a whole article on my favorite solar lanterns.
- In some respects, the quality of the plastic could be better. I know of on guy who broke his in what he described as “normal” use when packing it in his checked baggage during airline travel.
- Sometimes the lantern can seem a little too bright, for close-up use, and could benefit from the addition of a light diffuser.
Who is this Perfect for?
Realistically, the EZORKAS camping lantern is perfect for anyone who doesn’t like fumbling around in the dark. If you are going camping, then this is the right pick for you. With the rechargeable battery and with the backup AA battery feature, the lantern is perfect for campers. The lantern can be hung upside down or the magnetic base can be used to attach it to a metal ceiling to provide light for cooking or board and card games.
RVers will find the EZORKAS and a handy light to have on hand for backup lighting and fishermen can use the lantern for hunting nightcrawlers and fishing after dark.
The lantern is also perfect for people who travel by car to keep in their emergency kit. The multi-functional light would be very helpful in a roadside emergency situation, using it as a lantern to check under the hood or change a tire and the red flashing light can be used to warn other motorists of a breakdown. I drive an F-150 and it’s a great thing to keep in the glove box
Mechanics and handymen will love the EZORKAS as a work light, with its magnet base being perfect to work on vehicles. Children will love the EZORKAS for nighttime play, in their treehouse, backyard, or indoor tent.
My Final Verdict
Overall, the EZORKAS camping lantern gets a big Thumbs Up. The lantern has many more pros than cons and it provides a long-lasting light source in a compact, easy-to-carry, water-resistant package. The lantern’s multi-purpose design makes it versatile enough that anyone and everyone will be able to find a use for it. While the lantern is a perfect choice for campers, with its ability to be used as a lantern, a flashlight, and an emergency signal light, the EZORKAS camping lantern was designed to be useful in virtually any situation where light is needed.
See you at the campsite!
The 2022 Ultimate Camping Checklist
Camping is popular since it is easy and gets you out in nature! The essential gear for camping is different from backpacking so read the ultimate camping checklist.
5 Best Rechargeable Camping Lanterns
Our guide to the 5 best rechargeable camping lanterns. We include some of the aspects you should consider before making your purchase.